Discover incredible Southern food on a delicious 3.5 hour food tour through historic Downtown Atlanta! Led by a food expert, your tour includes 15 food tastings from 7 locally-owned restaurants as you explore the neighborhood that was at the heart of the Civil Rights Movement. Try Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s favorite fried chicken and eat your way through Atlanta's oldest produce market. This essential Atlanta tour will give you a strong overview of both Southern food and the Civil Rights Movement.
Named by the Sydney Herald Sun as one of the top 50 food experiences in the world and by National Geographic as the top tour to experience the city, this tour is a must for food lovers, history enthusiasts, and anyone who wants a great time!
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Unexpected Atlanta Walking Tours, 180 Northside Dr SW, Atlanta, GA 30313-1312
Your Atlanta food tour takes you off-the-beaten path to Atlanta's historic downtown neighborhoods to try 15 mouth-watering tastings from 7 restaurants and food shops. The 3.5 hour small group tour will introduce you to the history and diversity of Southern food as you try soul food, barbecue, Lowcountry cuisine, Creole-style candies, and today’s newest Southern specialties.
Your guide will entertain and inform you on the easy 2 mile walk with stories and insights into the Civil Rights Movement, Atlanta yesterday and today, and the city’s food culture. In fact, some guests have said that this is the best value in the city because it's both a food tour and a history tour in one! You'll be introduced to neighborhoods and stories about Atlanta that even locals don’t know! Feed your belly and your mind with Atlanta's most unique culinary experience.
Duration: 3 hours 30 minutes
Stop At: Paschal's, 180 Northside Dr SW, Atlanta, GA 30313, USA
One of the country's most famous soul foods and the unofficial headquarters of the Civil Rights Movement, this incredible restaurant will fill you up with its delicious traditional soul food.
Duration: 35 minutes
Stop At: Fairlie-Poplar, Atlanta, GA 30303, USA
See this historic area with an incredible guide who will share the important moments that happened in this area.
Duration: 15 minutes
Stop At: Woodruff Park, Peachtree St NE, Atlanta, GA 30303
Take amazing pictures at the iconic ATL playground and see the city's oldest skyscraper.
Duration: 10 minutes
Stop At: Sweet Auburn Ave, Atlanta, GA
Sweet Auburn is a historically African-American area, closely associated with the Civil Rights movement. It's known for its street art, hip bars, and eateries.
Duration: 30 minutes
Pass By: John Lewis Mural, Auburn Ave NE, Atlanta, GA 30303
John Lewis was a founding leader of SNCC, the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee, as well as, a civil rights activist.
Stop At: The Sweet Auburn Curb Market, 209 Edgewood Ave SE Intersection of Jesse Hill Jr. Drive, Atlanta, GA 30303-3012
Referred to as the Curb Market by locals, it houses thirty local businesses, including produce, butchers, seafood, a full service bakery, a cooking school, pharmacy and ten of the most popular eateries in the city. You'll eat your way around the market here, stopping in with some of the city's best restaurants.
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
180 Northside Dr SW, Atlanta, GA 30313, USA
3 hours 30 minutes
The Municipal Market, 209 Edgewood Ave SE, Atlanta, GA 30303, USA
Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest
Discover incredible Southern food on a delicious 3.5 hour food walk through historic Downtown Atlanta.
- 15 food tastings, including an alcoholic beverage at 7 locally-owned restaurants
- A friendly and insightful food expert who will guide you through the history of Southern food
- Walking and historical tour through Historic Downtown Atlanta
- Small group tours of no more than 14 people
- Discount and coupon book for food tour guests only
- Entry/Admission - Unexpected Atlanta Walking Tours
- Entry/Admission - Paschal's
- Entry/Admission - Woodruff Park
- Entry/Admission - The Sweet Auburn Curb Market
- Gratuities (suggested)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- A moderate amount of walking is involved. The tour is over 2 easy miles through Downtown Atlanta with plenty of rest stops. Please wear comfortable shoes and bring a bottle of water!
- Operates in all weather conditions, rain or shine, please dress appropriately and carry an umbrella.
- If you have food restrictions, allergies or aversions, please note them in the Special Requirements section.
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Surfaces are wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 14 travelers
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.